Gosausee Winter: A Guide to Visiting Gosau Lakes in Winter
Gosausee Winter – it is a natural wonder in the Salzkammergut region of Austria, where you can find stunning lakes surrounded by the majestic Dachstein Mountains. While most people visit Gosausee in summer, winter is also a great time to explore this beautiful area. In this guide, you will learn about the advantages and disadvantages of visiting Gosausee in winter, some of the best things to do in winter near Gosausee, and how to plan and book your winter trip to Gosausee.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Visiting Gosausee in Winter
Visiting Gosausee in winter has its pros and cons. Here are some of them:
- You can enjoy a winter wonderland with snow-covered mountains and trees, frozen lakes and ice crystals.
- You can avoid the crowds and have a more peaceful and relaxing experience.
- You can try various winter activities, such as skiing, snowboarding, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, sledding or ice skating.
- You can witness some unique phenomena, such as the reflection of the Dachstein glacier on the lake or the ice caves on the mountains.
- You can find lower prices and discounts for accommodation, ski passes and ski rental.
- You can face cold and harsh weather conditions, such as low temperatures, strong winds, snowstorms or avalanches.
- You can have limited access to some attractions, such as the Hinterer Gosausee (the back lake) or the Adamekhütte (a mountain hut near the glacier), which are closed or difficult to reach in winter.
- You can have shorter daylight hours and less sunshine, especially in the narrow valley where the lakes are located.
- You can have less variety of food and drinks, as some huts and restaurants are closed or have reduced menus in winter.
Nice and easy route around the lake. Very snowy in winter! Absolutely amazing.
Best Things to Do in Winter Near Gosausee
Gosausee offers a variety of activities for winter lovers. Here are some of the best things to do in winter near Gosausee:
Skiing and Snowboarding – Gosausee Winter
Gosausee is part of the Dachstein West ski region, which has 160 km of ski slopes, 60 ski lifts and 210 km of cross-country ski trails, you will never run out of options. Whether you are a beginner or an expert, a family or a freerider, you will find slopes that suit your level and preference. Moreover, you will enjoy panoramic views of the Gosau lake and the glacier from the slopes. To access the ski area, you can take the cable car Gosaukammbahn from Gosau to the Zwieselalm mountain station. There, you will also find ski schools, ski rental and ski huts.
Snowshoeing and Sledding – Gosausee Winter
For a more leisurely way to explore the winter landscape, you might want to try snowshoeing or sledding. At the cable car station or at some huts, you can rent snowshoes or sleds. Some marked trails around the Vorderer Gosausee (the front lake) or on the Zwieselalm plateau are ideal for snowshoeing and sledding. You can also join guided tours that will take you to some hidden spots and tell you more about the nature and history of Gosausee.
Ice Skating – Gosausee Winter
One of the most unique experiences you can imagine at Gosausee is ice skating on the frozen lake. It would be a dream to glide on the natural ice rink with a stunning backdrop of mountains and glaciers. However, ice skating on the lake is not possible, as the ice is not thick enough or safe enough for skating. Its usually covered with lots of snow. But don’t worry, you can still enjoy ice skating at Gosau at Dachstein.
The ice skating area at inn Gosauschmied
“Get on the ice” When the temperature drops and ice covers the landscape in glittering crystals, the ice-skating season is open. Surrounded by the winter wonderland that is Gosau, fresh air, icy peaks and snow-covered meadows make ice skating a real highlight. Put on your skates, glide along and enjoy an unforgettable day on the ice with your family.
The ice skating area at inn Gosauschmied Gosauseestraße 131 4825 Gosau attracts many locals as well as guests onto the ice. Everyone is welcome there.
How to Plan and Book Your Winter Trip to Gosausee
Planning and booking your winter trip to Gosausee is not difficult if you follow these steps:
Choose Your Dates
The winter season at Gosausee usually lasts from December to March, depending on the snow conditions. The best time to visit Gosausee in winter depends on your preferences and availability. January or February are good months for more snow. March is a good month for more sunshine and longer days. December is a good month for some festive atmosphere and events.
Choose Your Accommodation
You can find various types of accommodation near Gosausee, from hotels to guesthouses to huts. You can choose the one that suits your budget and needs. Some of the most popular options are:
- Gasthof Gosausee: a family-run hotel that is located right next to the Vorderer Gosausee. It offers comfortable rooms with lake or mountain views, a restaurant with regional cuisine, a bar with live music, a sauna and a playground.
- Gablonzer Hut: a traditional alpine hut that is located on the Zwieselalm mountain, near the top station of the cable car. It offers food, drinks and accommodation for hikers and skiers. It is part of the campaign “So schmecken die Berge” (This is how the mountains taste) and has received the award “Genießerhütte” (connoisseur’s hut). Their website for booking.
- Pension Jäger: a cozy and rustic pension that is located in Gosau, about 13 km from the lake. It offers rooms with private bathrooms, a breakfast buffet, a garden and a ski storage. Website
You can book your accommodation online or by phone. You can also find lower prices and discounts if you book in advance or during low season.
Choose Your Transportation
You can reach Gosausee by car or by bus from Salzburg or Hallstatt. By car, you can follow the road to the large parking lot at the Vorderer Gosausee, where your adventure begins. The parking fee is 4 euros per day. By bus, you can take the bus 542 from Salzburg or Hallstatt to Gosau and then change to the bus 543 to the lake. The bus fare is about 10 euros one way.
Choose Your Activities
There are many options for winter activities at Gosausee, so you can choose what suits your interests and abilities best. Whether you want to ski, snowboard, cross-country ski, snowshoe, sled or ice skate, you will find something to enjoy. You can also join guided tours or events that will make your trip more fun and memorable. You can book your activities online or at the cable car station or at some huts.
Choose Your Equipment
If you don’t have your own equipment, don’t worry. You can rent everything you need at Gosausee. Ski rental, ski schools, snowshoe rental and ice skate rental are available at the cable car station or at some huts. You can also get ski passes, ski maps and trail maps there. Book your equipment online or on site. You might also find lower prices and discounts if you book in advance or during low season.
Choose Your Food and Drinks
When you get hungry or thirsty, you can find food and drinks at various places at Gosausee, such as restaurants, huts or picnic areas. You can taste regional and international cuisine, from snacks to full meals, from hot drinks to cold drinks. Alternatively, you can bring your own food and drinks if you prefer. You can enjoy your food and drinks with a view of the lake and the mountains.
Enjoy Your Trip
You are now ready to enjoy your winter trip to Gosausee. You can have a wonderful time exploring the winter landscape, trying various winter activities, relaxing in cozy huts or hotels, tasting delicious food and drinks, and making unforgettable memories.