Places to see near Hallstatt – amazing visit
Here are some of the best places to visit and see near Hallstatt. Hallstatt is a gorgeous Austrian village located in the Salzkammergut region of Austria. With its picture-perfect alpine scenery, Hallstatt is a favorite destination for many travelers. Whether you’re looking for a romantic getaway or a family vacation, there is something for everyone near Hallstatt. From exploring the stunning landscape to discovering the history and culture of the area.
1. Dachstein Ice caves, Five fingers, Dachstein Shark, Krippenstein and Koppental valley in Obertraun
So, what are the coolest places to see and visit near Hallstatt?
Dachstein Ice caves, Five fingers, Dachstein Shark, Krippenstein and Koppental valley are all located in Obertraun area, near Hallstatt. They are part of the Dachstein Krippenstein cable car attraction, which has three levels of stations that offer different activities and views. Here is what I know about them:
Dachstein Ice caves
- Dachstein Ice caves: These are spectacular caves that contain frozen waterfalls, ice formations and stalactites. A guided tour of the caves will let you see the cave bears, the rope bridge and the light and sound show. These are unique ice formations that were created by thousands of years of melting snow. As a result, they create a stunning natural spectacle. In order to reach the ice caves, you need to take the cable car to the first level, Schönbergalm. Then, you need to walk for about 15 to 20 minutes from the station to the cave entrance. However, the caves are closed in winter.
- Five Fingers: This is a metal platform that extends over a 400-meter drop and offers a panoramic view of Hallstatt, the lake and the surrounding peaks. You can walk on one of the five fingers and feel the thrill of being suspended in the air. The five fingers are located at the second level of the cable car station, Krippenstein. After that, you need to walk for about 20 to 30 minutes from the station to the platform. Five fingers viewpoint is accessible in summer and also in winter.
- Dachstein Shark: This is a giant sculpture of a shark that looks like it is emerging from the ground. It is a symbol of climate change and how it affects the glaciers and the wildlife. You can see the shark from the second level of the cable car station Krippenstein. After that, you need to walk for about 10-15 minutes from the station to the Dachstein shark .
- Krippenstein: This is a mountain peak that has an elevation of 2,108 meters and offers a stunning view of the Dachstein massif and the Alps. On the tom of the mountain there is Welterbespirale: This is a metal platform that provides a 360-degree panoramic view of the Dachstein and the Salzkammergut region. You can also see information about different World Heritage Sites and special features in terms of structures and landscapes. You can also relax on comfortable recliners and enjoy the scenery. The Welterbespirale on Krippenstein mountain is located at the second level of the cable car station, Krippenstein. You need to walk for about 15 minutes from the station to the platform.
I hope this helps you learn more about Dachstein Ice caves, Five fingers, Dachstein Shark and Krippenstein. Have fun! 😊 You can also see how was my day at Dachstein Krippenstein in winter.
- Koppental valley is a scenic valley that runs along the Koppentraun river between Obertraun and Bad Aussee. It is a popular destination for hiking, biking and cross-country skiing. Here are some information:
- Accessibility from Obertraun – you can access the Koppental valley from Obertraun by car, bus, train or bike.
- Hiking or biking: You can hike or bike through the Koppental valley on a well-marked trail that passes by several attractions and stations. The trail takes about two to three hours to hike or one hour to bike. Along the trail, you can enjoy some of the following highlights:
- Start or exit: This is where the valley narrows and the river flows through a gorge. You can see the Sarstein bridge and the Sarstein power station here.
- Koppenbrüller Cave: This is a cave that is traversed by an underground stream. You can take a guided tour of the cave and see the stalactites, stalagmites and waterfalls.
- Koppenwinkel: This is a nature reserve that contains a wetland, a pond and a forest. You can see various plants and animals here, such as orchids, dragonflies and frogs.
I hope this helps you learn more about Koppental valley and what you can do there. Have fun!
2. Austrian lakes – Altausee, Wolfgangsee, Grundlsee, Traunsee, Atersee, Mondsee, Gosausee
What are some other amazing places to see near Hallstatt.
There are many beautiful lakes near Hallstatt that you can visit. Here are some of them and what you can do there:
- Altausseer See: This is one of the most beautiful mountain lakes in Austria, with crystal clear water that often shimmers emerald green. You can hike around the lake in two hours, or rent a boat and enjoy the views of the mountains. You can also visit Jagdhaus Seewiese hut where James Bond Spectre was filmed.
- Wolfgangsee: This is one of the largest and most popular lakes in the Salzkammergut region, with many resorts, restaurants and attractions. You can swim, kayak, sail or windsurf on the lake, or take a boat trip to the picturesque towns of St. Wolfgang, St. Gilgen and Strobl. You can also hike or bike around the lake or up to the Schafberg mountain for a panoramic view.
Grundlsee, Toplitzsee, Kammersee
- Grundlsee: This is the largest lake in Styria and is known as the “Styrian Sea”. It has a turquoise color and is surrounded by lush forests and cliffs. You can swim, fish, dive or boat on the lake, or hike to the Toplitzsee and Kammersee, two smaller lakes that are connected by an underground stream. You can also visit the spa town of Bad Aussee or the historic village of Gößl.
- Traunsee: This is the deepest lake in Austria and is located in the Traun valley. It has a clear blue color and is overlooked by the Traunstein mountain. You can swim, surf, sail or paddle on the lake, or take a boat tour to the towns of Gmunden, Altmünster, Traunkirchen and Ebensee. You can also hike to the Grünberg or Sonnstein peaks for a stunning view.
- Attersee: This is the largest lake in the Salzkammergut region and is famous for its water quality and color. It has a turquoise-green hue and is ideal for swimming, diving, sailing or water skiing. You can also explore the towns and villages around the lake, such as Attersee, Unterach, Steinbach and Weyregg. You can also visit the Gustav Klimt Center in Schörfling or the Celtic Museum in Seewalchen.
- Mondsee: This is a crescent-shaped lake that is connected to the Attersee by a canal. It has a warm temperature and is popular for swimming, boating and fishing. You can also visit the town of Mondsee, where you can see the Basilica of St. Michael, which was featured in The Sound of Music movie. You can also hike to the Schafberg or Drachenwand mountains for a spectacular view.
- Gosau Lake: This beautiful alpine lake is about 15 kilometers from Hallstatt and is surrounded by majestic mountains. It is a popular destination for hiking, biking, swimming and boating. You can also take a walk around the lake and admire the views of the Dachstein glacier.
3. Gosau lakes – Places to see near Hallstatt
- Vorderer Gosausee and Hinterer Gosausee are two lakes in the Gosau valley, near Hallstatt. They are also known as the front and back Gosau lakes. They are surrounded by the Dachstein mountains and offer stunning views of the glaciers and peaks. Here is what I know about these lakes and some hiking recommendations:
- Vorderer Gosausee: This is the bigger and better accessible of the lakes. You can hike around the lake in about two hours on a mostly flat and paved trail. The lake has a turquoise color and reflects the mountains beautifully. You can also swim, fish or rent a boat on the lake.
- Boat rental at Lake Gosau: Yes, you can rent boats at Lake Gosau from June to September. You can choose from electric boats, pedal boats and stand-up paddle boards and enjoy the lake and the view of the Dachstein. You can find further information at: https://gosausee-boote.at/ueber_den_gosausee/ You can find large parking lot near the lake.
- Swimming in Lake Gosau: Yes, you can swim in Lake Gosau, but be prepared for cold water. The lake has a preservation order and is very clean and clear. It is also home to many fish species. There are several areas around the lake where you can jump into the water.
- Via ferrata routes near Lake Gosau: There are couple via ferrata routes near Lake Gosau that offer different levels of difficulty and scenery. Some of the most popular ones are:
- Donnerkogel: This is a challenging via ferrata that leads to the summit of Donnerkogel (2,054 meters). It has a length of 1.2 kilometers and a height difference of 400 meters. It offers stunning views of the Dachstein massif and the Gosau valley. You need good fitness, equipment and experience to do this via ferrata.
- Gosausee: This is a moderate via ferrata that follows the shore of the lake. It has a length of 1 kilometer and a height difference of 150 meters. It offers beautiful views of the lake and the mountains. You need some fitness, equipment and experience to do this via ferrata. It is called Laserer Alpin Klettersteig.
- Hinterer Gosausee: It is located about four kilometers from the front lake and can be reached by a hiking trail that passes by the middle lake (Gosaulacke), which is a shallow and seasonal lake. The back lake has a dark green color and is surrounded by steep cliffs. You can hike around the lake in about an hour on a rocky and uneven trail. The lake has no facilities or services.
- You can access these lakes from Hallstatt by car, bus or bike. The distance is about 15 kilometers and takes about 20 minutes by car or 50 minutes by bus. You can also bike along a scenic route that follows the Hallstatt lake and the Gosau river.
Hiking Gosau Lakes
- Top hiking places around Gosau: There are many hiking trails around Gosau that offer different lengths, difficulties and attractions. Some of the top hiking places are:
- Gosauseen: This is a scenic hike that takes you around the three lakes in the Gosau valley: Vorderer Gosausee, Gosaulacke and Hinterer Gosausee. You can enjoy the views of the lakes, the glaciers and the cliffs along the way. The hike is about 10 kilometers long and takes about four hours.
- Zwieselalm: This is a high-altitude hike that takes you to the Zwieselalm mountain pasture, where you can see cows, sheep and horses grazing. You can also enjoy the views of the Dachstein massif and the surrounding peaks. The hike is about 12 kilometers long and takes about five hours.
- Ebenalm: This is a family-friendly hike that takes you to the Ebenalm hut, where you can have a snack or a drink. You can also see a waterfall, a gorge and a chapel along the way. The hike is about 6 kilometers long and takes about two hours.
I hope this helps you learn more about this place to see near to Hallstatt – Vorderer Gosausee and Hinterer Gosausee. There is something for everyone – boat rental, swimming, via ferrata and hiking options near Lake Gosau. Have fun! 😊
4. Hallstatt mountains and waterfall – places to see near Hallstatt
There are more places to see and things to do around Hallstatt. Here are some more suggestions:
- Waldbachstrub Waterfall: This impressive waterfall is located in the Echerntal valley, about four kilometers from Hallstatt. You can hike to the waterfall along a scenic trail that passes by a gorge, a chapel and a suspension bridge. The waterfall is 90 meters high and plunges into a deep pool. Waldbachstrub waterfall is a great spot for nature lovers and photographers.
Shneidkogel mountain and Plassen mountain
- Schneidkogel and Plassen: These are two of the highest peaks in the area, offering challenging hikes and spectacular views. You can reach Schneidkogel (1,996 meters) from Obertraun via the Wiesberghaus hut, or from Hallstatt via the Simony hut. You can reach Plassen (1,957 meters) from Gosau via the Gablonzer hut, or from Hallstatt via the Simony hut. Both hikes take about six to seven hours round-trip and require good fitness.
- Swimming, kayaking and paragliding: If you are looking for some water sports or aerial adventures, you can find them on and around Lake Hallstatt. You can swim at one of the many beaches and bathing areas around the lake, such as Badestrand Hallstatt or Winkl lakeside beach in Obertraun. You can also rent a kayak or a stand-up paddle board and explore the lake at your own pace. Or you can try paragliding and soar over the lake and the mountains with a professional instructor.
- Biking trip: One of the best ways to enjoy the scenery and the culture of Hallstatt and its surroundings is by bike. You can rent a bike in Hallstatt or Obertraun and follow one of the many cycling routes around the lake and the valley. For example, you can take the 21-kilometer circular route from Hallstatt to Obertraun, Bad Goisern and back, passing by historic sites, churches and museums along the way. Or you can take the 34-kilometer route from Hallstatt to Gosau, passing by Gosau Lake and the Dachstein glacier.
5. Zipline near Stoderzinken – places to see near Hallstatt
Zipline Stoderzinken: This is a thrilling adventure that lets you glide over the valley and the mountains on a steel cable. For example, the longest route is 2500 meters long and 700 meters high, while the shortest route is 700 meters long and 160 meters high You can reach speeds of up to 115 km/h and enjoy the panoramic views of the Dachstein massif and the Enns valley. The zipline is open from May to October.
If you are looking for other activities near Stoderzinken, you can also try the Flying Coaster, which is a roller coaster that takes you through the forest and over a waterfall. You can also visit the Abenteuerpark, which is a high ropes course with various obstacles and challenges. Or you can hike to the summit of Stoderzinken and see the Friedenskircherl, a small wooden church.
6. Spa near Hallstatt – places to see near Hallstatt
- One of the spa options near Hallstatt is the Salzkammergut Thermal Spa, a thermal resort that features a sauna world, a wellness oasis and a 4-star hotel. You can find it in Voglhuberstrasse 10, Eurothermen Resort, Bad Ischl. It has a 4-star rating and you can reach them at 06132 2040 for more information. You can also visit their website here: thermal spa website
- Another spa option near Hallstatt is the GrimmingSpa, a spa that offers 7 thermal baths, a beauty and wellness center and a sauna area with a panoramic view of the Grimming massif. It is located in Neuhofen 182, Bad Mitterndorf and you can contact them at +43 (0) 3623 21010 or email@example.com. You can also check their website here: Grimming therme website
I hope this helps you find a relaxing spa experience near Hallstatt.
7. Winter activities – places to see near Hallstatt
- Winter activities: If you visit Hallstatt in winter, you will find a snowy wonderland with plenty of activities to enjoy. You can go skiing or snowboarding at one of the nearby ski resorts, such as Dachstein West, Krippenstein Freeride Arena, Loser Altaussee Ski Resort, Gosau Ski Resort, and more.. You can also go snowshoeing, cross-country skiing. You can also rent equipment and take lessons if you need. Or you can simply stroll around the village and admire the Christmas market and the festive decorations.
Cross country skiing Gosau
Cross-country skiing is a popular winter activity in Gosau, which is a village near Hallstatt. Here are some more details about cross-country skiing in Gosau:
- Gosau has more than 40 km of prepared cross-country ski trails for beginners and advanced skiers. You can enjoy the beautiful views of the Gosaukamm mountains and the romantic forests as you glide through the snow.
- There are six cross-country ski trails in Gosau, each with a different length and difficulty level. You can choose from the Kohlstatt trail (7.4 km, easy), the fairy tale trail (6.1 km, easy), the skating trail (3.5 km, easy), the village trail (13.1 km, medium), the sun trail (4.1 km, easy), and the sports trail (3.7 km, difficult).
- The cross-country ski trails are free to use and are groomed daily. You can start from the sports center Gosau or from other points along the trails. You can also rent equipment and take lessons at the sports center or at other ski rental shops in Gosau.
- In addition to cross-country skiing, you can also try other winter sports in Gosau, such as skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, ice skating, sledding, and more. You can find many ski resorts and trails near Gosau, such as Dachstein West, Krippenstein Freeride Arena, Loser Altaussee Ski Resort, and more.
Hallstatt’s exceptional natural beauty makes it a destination worthy of any Austrian trip. Add to that all the places to see around Hallstatt and other amazing things to see and do, it’s a must-see destination for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts alike. Overall, you will love it here!